Summer is a tricky time. The delicious weather makes everyone want to throw on fabulous, fun frocks and get down, but the heat can throw out a major curveball for the host. Planning an outdoor shindig can be tough when the summer sun rules the day. At OTR, we have some great go to tips for throwing a successful event, even when temperatures soar.
1. Prepare for your guests to feel the heat. Have plenty of chilled water on hand and make sure you're good on ice to keep drinks chilly. Make sure stock the bathroom with things like spray deodorant, bug spray, and safety pins because hot weather means little (fragile) straps. If you're looking to take it to the next level, a mini fridge with water soaked cool towels is like heaven for guests.
2. Be a fan fan. At OTR, we are big fans of fans. We love misting fans, which lightly spritz guests while providing a cool burst of air. Regular fans can provide relief too, you just want to make sure they're anchored properly if they aren't heavy-duty. Sometimes, we even love to go old school and put out baskets of folded fans for guests to grab and carry around the party.
3. Build better drinks. Alcohol and heat have a complicated relationship. Hot weather makes people want to drink more, but hot wether can cause dehydration. Try making cocktails with a lower alcohol content like spritzers; (vogue thinks its a thing, so why not!). If liquor is a must, try an ice luge, which melts water into the shot while cooling the alcohol. For a simple solution, provide beer and a fruit infused water to encourage water drinking!
4. Engage guests with games that don’t require too much physical activity. Who doesn’t love a game of cornhole? This game gets guests playing but doesn't require a lot of darting around. We also love Jenga and even hands-on art projects, like adult coloring books, succulent gardens, or anything that requires a surface. These pull guests toward stations strategically placed in the shade.
5. Get playful and please your inner-kid. Sprinklers, kiddie pools, water guns, etc. are all great if guests have their bathing suits handy. We even love to set up chairs around small, inflatable pools so guests can dip their toes in the water while eating, drinking, and generally having a kick ass time.
And of course, most importantly..make sure to bring your sunglasses..
Want to see what else we've been up to? Check out our portfolio here. Dying to say hello? Click here to drop us a line. We look forward to connecting!